There is currently a blackout in the City of Tea Tree Gully area. As a result we are currently closed. However, the return chutes are available for you to return your library materials.
We have heard that the power is likely to be back after 2pm. Once our systems are up and running, our doors will be open again for you!
While today is traditionally known as Valentine’s Day, within Libraries across Australia it’s also known as Library Lovers Day.
I’m taking this opportunity to say thank-you to all Library staff, and those across Council who assist us in delivering you one of the best public library services in South Australia.
While the year is but a few days old, let’s take a moment to reflect on our highlights in 2010 (in no particular order):
- Launch of new Adult Literacy Tutoring program run by volunteers to assist individuals to improve their english.
- Family History volunteers being finalists as part of SA Heritage Heroes award.
- Completion of stocktake of the Library collection. This was a large amount of work for all staff, well organised by our Systems team.
- Inaugural Reader’s festival.
- Launch of the Blu Ray DVD collection – currently 320 available for loan.
- Improved access to Environmental resources within the adult non-fiction collection.
- Welcomed 388,853 people through the door.
- 733 programs/events were held of which 28,851 people attended! Children’s Book Week and performance of the Christmas Wish were a couple of outstanding highlights.
- Growth in Library Access Services program – assisting individuals to access the service who can’t due to health or infirmity
- Added over 30,000 new items added to the collection. Congratulations to our technical service team as that is an increase of over 3,000+ items from 2009!
- Come ‘n’ try e-books: featuring Kindle, I-pad, Sony e-reader touch, and Kobo. They are still on display – come and play!
… and here comes 2011 – another exciting new year!
If you have visited the Library in the lead up to Christmas, hopefully you have noticed our lovely Christmas tree. Having the tree on display at this time of year is a joy for everyone, we get to experince the delight in the young faces of children and their parents or grandparents as they approach to see themselves reflecting back in the decorations. Each year the tree is decorated by a couple of dedicated staff who have a passion for decorating – and they do a great job. Many thanks Sonya and Maria for evoking the Christmas spirit in us all!
If you are a regular to the library, you would be familiar with a number of friendly faces who have worked here for many years. There are even a couple who have been here for 22 years – amazing! Staff are an important part of our business, and we recognise these individuals as they have a wealth of knowledge and experience they bring to the library service! Today was no exception, as Pam was presented with a certificate recognising her 15 years of service. Congratulations Pam – and thank-you!
“It has been great working with such pleasant, talent and supportive staff and it has been a lot of fun. Plus I have enjoyed being kept up to speed with all the changes in technology and our resources that has occurred during this time”
Laptop computers are designed to be taken anywhere and set-up on any flat surface. However any laptop owner will tell you that extended use on your lap will result in a very warm legs and bad posture. Over time we’ve received a number of your suggestions “why don’t you purchase some laptop tables?”.
Well, we’ve listened and purchased one as a trial, and his name is Dave. The surface can be tilted or flat, height adjusted and holds up to 6kg. If you are a laptop user, give Dave a test drive on your next visit. We would love to hear your feedback!
The Library will be closed on Monday 14 June 2010, for the Queen’s Birthday & Volunteer’s Day.
The return chutes on the Eastern wall near the Library carpark will be open for your returns.
We will see you again when the Library reopens on Tuesday 15 June at 10am.