Lauren Hunt, runs a blog called Teacher Types, a blog ‘where teachers and parents of young children can be inspired‘ and is a regular user of the Tea Tree Gully Toy Library, situated within the regular Library space. She recently wrote a great post about the Toy Library, we thought we’d share some of it here.
‘All year our family have been members of the Tea Tree Gully Toy Library and it’s become one of my favourite places to visit. We probably go once every 3-4 weeks for a play and a borrow (I love that littlies are encouraged to stay and play). The Toy Library is run by a wonderful group of volunteers and is a not for profit community organisation.
- The Toy Library is located within the City of Tea Tree Gully Library (571 Montague Road Modbury SA)
- There are more than 3000 items in the Toy Library to choose from.
- There are 600+ families who borrow those toys.
- There are 17 friendly volunteers who make the Toy Library run smoothly.
- It only costs $30 a year to be a member.
- You can borrow two toys and one puzzle per visit.
- Their website is here
- You can pop in to borrow Tuesday & Thursday 10:00 am – 3:00 pm and Wednesday 2:00 pm – 7:30 pm
- If you go on a Thursday be sure to also check out Baby Bounce & Rhyme for under 2s from 10:30 – 11am or Toddler Time (2-4s) at 11:30 am in the children’s library area
- They also lend out the bigger items for party hire – bouncy castle, cars, ball pit, bubble machine, play gym, slide, roller coaster…and much more!
- Most importantly – young children learn through play, so a community resource like the Toy Library is a way to always have new toys in your home to engage your little one in valuable learning experiences.
And they even have costumes you can borrow! Keep this in mind for Book Week next year.
Oooohhh and I nearly forgot to mention, there is even a cafe in the main Library foyer! So you can stop for coffee, lunch or morning/afternoon tea when you borrow your toys and/or books. Very child friendly atmosphere with highchairs, couches and comfy arm chairs.
Thank you TTG Toy Library for helping the littlest members of your community bring the joy of play into their homes. If you live in the area, please consider joining up and supporting a wonderful local organisation.’
Thanks Lauren for such a great user perspective of the Toy Library. It’s awesome to hear how much it is appreciated.